Dr. Debra L. Davis
is a Faculty Associate in the School of Computing and Information Sciences with a background in Computer Science (MS, FIU) and Cognitive Developmental Psychology (PhD, University of Texas at Austin).
Dr. Davis has considerable industry experience, including serving as the Chief Information Officer (CIO) for The Children’s Trust, where she provided the vision, leadership, strategic planning and management of the Information Systems. Her academic career focuses on bridging the fields of Computer Science and Psychology by better understanding the user's interactions with computing technology.
Dr. S. S. Iyengar
Ryder Professor and Director
is currently a Ryder Professor and Director in school of computing and information science, Florida International University. He received a Ph. D from Eng., Mississippi State University, Mississippi in 1974.
He received a M.S. from Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India and B.S. from Bangalore University, Bangalore, India in 1970 and in 1968 respectively. His research interests are Computational Sensor Networks (Theory and Application), Parallel and Distributed Algorithms and Data Structures, Software for Detections of Critical Events, and Autonomous Systems and Distributed Systems.
Honors and Awards
- ACM Fellow
- IEEE Fellow
- AAAS Fellow
- SPDS Fellow
- Member European Academy of Science
- Distinguished Service Award Roy Paul Daniel's Professor Award (2008-2010)
- Distinguished Research Award from Tunisian Mathematical Society, March 22,2010, Tunisia
- Member of the Advisory Board for International Journal of Wireless and Mobile Computing, Inderscience Publishers, (2005 - Present)
Research and Instructional Interest
- Computational Sensor Networks (Theory and Application)
- Parallel and Distributed Algorithms and Data Structures
- Software for Detections of Critical Events
- Autonomous Systems and Distributed Systems
2010D.SC (Honorary), Techno Global University, India1974Ph. D., Eng., Mississippi State University, Mississippi1970M.S., Mech. Eng., Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India1968B.S., Mech. Eng., Bangalore University, Bangalore, India
Selected Professional Experience
August 26, 2011 - Present Ryder Professor, Director, School of Computing and Information Sciences, Florida International University, Miami, FloridaJuly 1,1992 - 2011Roy Paul Daniels Professor & Chairman, Department of Computer Science, Louisiana State University, Louisiana,USADec 2007 and July 2008Visiting Homi Bhabha Distinguished Professor , Indira Gandhi Center of Atomic Research, Kalpakkam, IndiaAug 2006 - July 31st, 2007Visiting Chaired Professorship, Dept of Computer and Communication Engineering, Asia University, Taichung, Taiwan2004 - PresentCo-Director, Louisiana Biomedical Research Network (LBRN) Bioinformatics Core, Department of Computer Science, Louisiana State University2003 - 2006Visiting Satish Dhawan Chaired Professor, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India (2003 - 2006)May 2 - May 12Visiting Professor, University of Kuwait, 2002Feb. 19 - March 7, 1993Visiting Professor, Department of Computer Science, Universite Paris VII, France, Host: Professor A. SaoudiJuly 1, 1991 - 1992Professor and Interim Chairman, Department of Computer Science, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Text Books/ Research Monograph
- Gregory Vert, S.S.Iyengar , Vir Phoha , "Introduction to Contextual Processing - Theory and Application", CRC Press, November 2010, pp. 320.
- S.S.Iyengar. N. Parameshwaran etal., "Fundamentals of Sensor Network Programming - Application and Technology ", John Wiley and sons and IEEE Press, November 2010, pp. 352
- Chakrabarty and S.S. Iyengar, "Scalable Infrastructure for Information Processing in Distributed Sensor Networks", Springer-Verlag London Ltd, June 2005, pp. 252.
- C. Xavier and S.S. Iyengar, "Introduction to Parallel Algorithms", John Wiley and Sons, July 1998, pp. 365 Translated into Chinese language (January 2005).
- S.S. Iyengar, E.C. Cho and V. Phoha, "Foundations of Wavelet Networks and Applications", Chapman and Hall/CRC Press, June 2002, pp. 258.
- R.R. Brooks and S.S. Iyengar "Multi Sensor Fusion: Fundamentals and Applications with Software", Prentice Hall Publication Co., New Jersey 07458 (October 1997), pp. 488.
- L. Prasad and S.S. Iyengar, "Wavelet Analysis with an Application to Image Processing",Chapman and Hall/CRC Press, June 1997, pp. 279.
- S.S. Iyengar, L. Prasad and Hla Min, "Advances in Distributed Sensor Integration: Applications and Theory" Prentice-Hall, New Jersey, (1995), pp. 273.
- Wireless Communication and Sensor Computing, January 2010.
- V.K. Prasanna, S. S. Iyengar, Paul Spirakis, Matt Welsh (Eds), "Distributed Computing in Sensor Systems", Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on DCOSS.
- S.S. Iyengar and R.R. Brooks (Eds), "Distributed Sensor Networks", Taylor and Francis / CRC Press, Inc. December 2004, pp. 1120.
- A.R. Das Gupta, S.S.Iyengar and H.S. Bhatt (Eds) Recent advances in Computing and Communication, Tata McGraw-Hill, Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Advanced Computing and Communications (ADCOM 2004), pp. 486.
- S.S.Iyengar and B.Sinha (Eds), "Recent Advances in Computing and Communication", Tata McGraw- Hill, Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Advanced Computing and Communications (ADCOM 2001), pp. 286.
- S.S. Iyengar (Ed), "Structuring Biological Systems a Computer Modeling Approach", Chapman and Hall/CRC Press, December 1997, pp. 267.
- S. S. Iyengar and A. Elfes, (Eds), "Autonomous Mobile Robots: Perception, Mapping, and Navigation - Volume 1"IEEE Computer Society Press, October 1991, pp. 260.
- S. S. Iyengar, (Eds), "Structuring of Complex Bio-Systems" Volume II, Chapman and Hall/CRC Press, June 1991, pp. 267.
- Elliot Soloway and S. S. Iyengar, (Eds), "Empirical Studies of Programmers" Ablex Pub. Co., Norwood, New Jersey, June 1986, pp. 268.
- S. S. Iyengar, (Ed), "Computer Modeling of Complex Bio-Systems"Chapman and Hall/CRC Press, November 1983, pp.142 (Best Seller-list, 1984).
- Xin Li, Wuyi Yu,Xiao Lin, S.S.Iyengar. "An Optimization Algorithm for the NP-hard 3D Gallery Guarding Problem and its Application on Autonomous Pipeline Inspection" IEEE Transaction on Robotics, to appear in July 2011
- P.T. Krishna Kumar, P.T. Vinodh, Vir V. Phoha, S.S. Iyengar, Puneeth Iyengar " Design of a smart biomarker for bioremediation: A machine learning approach", Volume 41, Issue 6, Computers in Biology in Medicine, Elsevier, June 2011
- S.S. Iyengar; Xin Li; Amit Sawant; Huanhuan Xu; Puneeth Iyengar "Computational Analysis of Tumor Motion - Can the CAT Catch the Mouse", Submitted to IEEE Computers, May 2011.
- Raja, K B; Nithin, B.; Sarvajith, M.; Li, Xin; Venugopal, K R; Iyengar, Sundararaj; Patnaik, L M "Robust Image Adaptive Steganography using Integer Wavelets", Submitted to IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, April 2011.
- Shaila, K; Ghatge, Vineeth; Ramesh, Prashanth; Venugopal, Tejaswi; Srinivasagopalan, Srivathsan; Venugopal, K; Iyengar, S; Patnaik, Lalit "Link Strength Keymatch Secure Routing in Heterogeneous Wireless Sensor Networks", Submitted to IEEE Transactions on Computers, May 2011.
- Srivatsan Srinivasagopalan, Konstantin Busch, S.S. Iyengar "Oblivious Buy-at-Bulk in Planar Graphs", Submitted to SIAM Journal on Discrete Mathematics(SIDMA), April 2011.
- Noureddine Boudriga, Mohamed Hamdi, S.S. Iyengar "Coverage Assesment and Target Tracking in 3D Domains", Sensors, April 2011.
- Zakiya S. Wilson, Sitharama S. Iyengar, Su-Seng Pang, Isiah M. Warner, Candace Luces "Increasing Access for Economically Disadvantaged Students: The NSF/CSEM & S-STEM Programs at Louisiana State University", Submitted to Journal of Engineering Education (JEE), February 2011.
- Manjula, S; K, Nithin; M, Sarvajith; Shaila, K; Nalini, Gayathri; Srinivasagopalan, Srivathsan; Venugopal, K; Iyengar, S; Patnaik, Lalit "Optimal Scheduling for Maximizing the Lifetime of Wireless Sensor Networks", Submitted to IEEE Transactions on Computers, February 2011.
- Shaila, K; Srinivasagopalan, Srivathsan; Venugopal, K; Iyengar, S; Patnaik, Lalit "Double encryption to maximize security in wireless sensor networks", Submitted to IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Computing, February 2011.
- Srivatsan Srinivasagopalan, Konstantin Busch, S.S. Iyengar "An Oblivious Spanning Tree for Single-Sink Buy-at-Bulk in Low Doubling-Dimension Graphs", IEEE Transactions on Computers, to appear, 2011.
Dr. Nagarajan Prabakar
is currently an associate professor in school of computing and information science, Florida International University. He received a Ph.D form Computer Science, University of Queensland, Australia in 1985.
He received a M.E. from Automation, Indian Institute of Science, India and B.E. from Electrical & Electronics Engineering, Annamalai University, India in 1979 and in 1977 respectively. His research interests are distributed Sensor Networks, Grid Computing, Computer Networks, Image Processing for Spatial Data, and Multimedia Databases.
Honors and Awards
- School of Computing and Information Sciences Excellence in Service Award, 2011
- Teaching Incentive Program Award at Florida International University, 1995
- University of Queensland M.I.M. Holdings Ltd. prize for attaining the highest level of academic achievement in Computer Science Postgraduate Studies, 1982 and 1984
- University of Queensland Postgraduate Research Scholarship, 1981 - 1984
- Gold medal for securing the first rank in B.E. at Annamalai University, 1977
- Distributed Sensor Networks
- Machine Learning and Deep Learning
- Multimedia Databases
1985Ph.D., Computer Science, University of Queensland, Australia1979M.E., Automation, Indian Institute of Science, India1977B.E., Electrical & Electronics Engineering, Annamalai University, India
Aug 1991 - presentAssociate Professor, School of Computing and Information Sciences, Florida International University, Miami, FL 33199Aug 1985 - Aug 1991Assistant Professor, School of Computing and Information Sciences, Florida International University, Miami, FL 33199Aug 1984 - Aug 1985Visiting Assistant Professor, School of Computing and Information Sciences, Florida International University, Miami, FL 33199Jul 1981 - Aug 1984Teaching Assistant, Department of Computer Science, University of Queensland, AustraliaNov 1979 - Jul 1981Assistant Executive Engineer, Indian Telephone Industries, Bangalore, India
- Subject area coordinator: 2003 - present
Responsible to review and revise the syllabi, update textbooks, and review instructor evaluations & students’ feedback and write assessment summary for the courses.
IT Database area:
- CGS-4366 (Information Retrieval and Storage Concepts)
COP-4723 (Database Administration) COP-4722 (Survey of Database Systems)
IT Systems area:
- CGS-3767 (Computer Operating Systems)
COP-3348 (Introduction to Using Unix/Linux Systems) COP-4343 (Unix System Administration)
- Undergraduate Committee Chair: 2006 – present
Responsible for the undergraduate curriculum of both Computer Science and Information Technology programs including review of new courses, degree programs, and dependencies among courses, and make recommendations on assessment reports.
In Spring 2010, restructured the IT Curriculum to meet ABET requirements.
Compensation: One course release per year
- Human Resources Committee Member: 2011 – present
- College Curriculum Committee Chair: 2010 – present
Created a web site for the College Curriculum Committee at http://users.cis.fiu.edu/~prabakar/ccc and streamlined the meeting process. Further, this enabled transparency of the entire committee operations (documents, minutes, resolutions) for the entire college and drastically cut down the number of paper copies made for the meetings.
- College Curriculum Committee Vice Chair: 2009 - 2010
Coordinated the curriculum interaction for the college with the Faculty Senate office
- College Curriculum Committee Representative for SCIS: 2008 - present
Coordinated and submitted the following curriculum proposals on behalf of SCIS:
- Eight new courses
- New graduate program (MS in IT)
- Program changes to BS in CS, SDD Track, BS in IT
- Twenty five course changes
- Faculty Senator: 2011 – present
- Faculty Senate Nominating Committee Member: 2011 – present
- University Curriculum Committee Chair: 2010 – present
- Corrected the security feature of curriculum proposal forms (pdf files) that are fillable and now saveable using the standard Acrobat Reader. This simplifies the process of correcting any error in curriculum proposals.
- Designed curriculum bulletin calendars for 2011-2012 and 2012-2013.
- For each university curriculum bulletin,
- Reviewed all UG and grad curriculum proposals
- Scheduled hearing for all new programs/majors/tracks
- Chaired the hearing and coordinated revisions to proposals
- Presented curriculum related motions at the senate meetings
Initiated the Paperless Curriculum Project in coordination with the Vice Provost of Academic Planning, UTS IT Specialist, Faculty Senate Administrative Assistant, and Registrar Coordinator.
- Undergraduate Studies Global Learning Foundation Courses Committee Chair: 2010 – present
Created a web site for the Global Learning Foundation course proposals at http://users.cis.fiu.edu/~prabakar/glfcc and coordinated feedback from the committee members and authors of the course proposals and got five Global Learning courses approved.
- Faculty Advisor for Panther Linux User Group: 2009 – present
Established the student Linux organization in Summer 2009
Facilitated students to present about Linux features in several presentations
Organized Linux Installation Festivals to promote Linux system to new users in FIU
I gave presentations on “Automated Backup for Linux Systems” on 3/31/11 and on “Linux with Virtual Machines” on 9/6/11. Activities of PLUG are disseminated through the google group email@example.com and the web site http://plug.cis.fiu.edu
- Judge for South Florida Regional Science and Engineering Fair
Reviewed and evaluated ten Science projects on January 22, 2011
Miami-Dade College, North Campus
- Open Access Online Tutorial for Computer Science and Engineering Courses
Compiled online video lectures for most of the computer science and engineering related courses and made them available at http://motivatemyself.org for all students in the College of Engineering and Computing since Fall 2010.
- Raised fund ($1,245) for Haiti Earth-quake Relief Efforts
By participating ING Marathon in Jan 2010 ( http://motivatemyself.org/running )
- Raised fund ($1,175) for Children in Africa
By participating ING Marathon in Jan 2011 ( http://motivatemyself.org/running )
(list of all papers)
- YJ Jung, HY Park, K. Maitra, N. Prabakar, and J-H Kim: ‘Real-Time, Simultaneous and Proportional Myoelectric Control for Robotic Rehabilitation Therapy of Stroke Survivors’, Therapeutic Science for Neurorehabilitation, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 78-87, 2018.
- J-H Kim, G. Sharma, I. Cardenas, D. Kim, N. Prabakar, and S.S. Iyengar: ‘DynamicPIN: A Novel Approach Towards Secure ATM Authentication’, Proceedings of the 4th Annual Conference on Computational Science and Computational Intelligence (CSCI’17), Las Vegas, December 14-16, 2017.
- J-H Kim, N. Prabakar, G. Sharma, and S.S. Iyengar: ‘Inspiring Innovative Aspirations among Undergraduate Students’. Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Computer Science Education: Innovation and Technology (CSEIT 2017), Singapore, October 9-10, 2017.
- J. Soni, N. Prabakar, J-H Kim: ‘Prediction of Component Failures of Telepresence Robot with Temporal Data’. 30th Florida Conference on Recent Advances in Robotics, Boca Raton, pp.178-181, May 11-12, 2017.
- S. Sundarapandian, J.H. Kim, S. Ferris-Francis, J. Miller, N. Prabakar, C. Charters, H. Michko: ‘A Novel Communication Architecture and Control System for TeleBot: A Multi-Modal Telepresence Robot for Disabled Officers’. International Journal of Next-Generation Computing, Vol. 7, No. 3, 2016.
Dr. Jong-Hoon Kim
Visiting Assistant Professor
is currently an adjunct professor in school of computing and information science, Florida International University. He received a B.S. from Seoul National University of Science and Technology, Seoul, South Korea in 2005. He received a M.S. and Ph.D. in department of computer science, Louisiana State University at Baton Rouge in 2008 and in 2011 respectively. His research interests are in Tele-robotics, Mobile Robot, HRI, Embedded System, HCI,Sensor Network, and Intelligent System. Currently, his research is focusing on Tele-robotic project, Tele-presence humanoid robot for law enforcement and Intelligent Home System (IHS), focusing on the quality of life and security while providing solutions that increase comfort and entertainment. At the same time, it will provide enhanced security as well as improved energy efficiency.
- Mobile Robot
- Intelligent Systems
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Sensor Network
2011Ph.D., Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.A.2008M.S., Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S.A.2005B.S., B.S., Seoul National University of Science and Technology, Seoul, South Korea
2012 - presentVisiting Assistant Professor, Florida International University
School of Computer Science – Miami, Florida2002-2004System Supervisor, I-BUS Corporation, Seoul, South Korea2000-2002System Administrator, IBM Korea, Seoul, South Korea
Project Title: UniversityCity Prosperity Project Source of Support: Department of Transportation Role : Co-Principal Investigator (PI : N.Rishe) Total Award Amount: $ 11,397,120 Total Award Period Covered: 2014 - 2016 Project Title: Google Computer Science for High School (Google - CS4HS ) Source of Support: Google Inc.Role : Principal InvestigatorTotal Award Amount $ 13,500Total Award Period Covered: 04/01/2013 - 03/31/2014Project Title: Border Surveillance Using Wireless Sensor Networks Source of Support: Korea-Tunisia CooperationRole : Co-Principal Investigator ( Korean-PI: Sunshin An, Tunisian-PI : Noureddien Boudriga)Total Award Amount: $300,000 ($150,000 for Korea, $150,000 for Tunisia)Total Award Period Covered: Oct. 2012 – Sept. 2015Project Title: REU SITE: [ASSET] Research Experiences for Undergraduates in Advanced Secured Sensor Enabling Technologies Source of Support: NSFRole : Senior Investigator (PI : Niki Pissinou)Total Award Amount $ 359,997Total Award Period Covered: 01/01/2013 - 12/13/2015Project Title: TeleBot - Telepresence robot for Disable Veteran and Police Officer Source of Support: Private Donation - Lt. Cmdr Jeremy Robins, US NavyRole : Principal InvestigatorTotal Award Amount $ 20,000Total Award Period Covered: 04/27/2012
- Jong-Hoon Kim , Nagarajan Prabakar, and Cynthia Tope, " Efficient Concurrent Operations of Telepresence Avatars ", Proceedings of The 44th International Symposium on Robotics, Seoul, Korea, October 24-26, 2013
- Michael Waddell, Joel Villasuso, Daniela ChavezGuevera, and Jong-Hoon Kim , " Standardized Linearization and Vectorization Algorithm for Arm Motion Control of A Humanoid Telepresence Robot ", Proceedings of The 44th International Symposium on Robotics, Seoul, Korea, October 24-26, 2013
- Mangai Prabakar, and Jong-Hoon Kim , " TeleBot: Design Concept of Telepresence Robot for Law Enforcement ", Proceedings of the 2013 World Congress on Advances in Nano, Biomechanics, Robotics, and Energy Research (ANBRE13), Seoul, Korea, pp. 34-42, August 25-28, 2013
- Nagarajan Prabakar, C. Tope, and Jong-Hoon Kim , " A Smart Multi Telepresence Robot Management System ", Proceedings of the 2013 World Congress on Advances in Nano, Biomechanics, Robotics, and Energy Research (ANBRE13), Seoul, Korea, pp. 43-51, August 25-28, 2013
- Francisco Peleato, Mangai Prabakar, and Jong-Hoon Kim , " Smart Global Positioning System for Autonomous Delivery Robots in Hospitals ", Proceedings of the 29th Southern Biomedical Engineering Conference (SBEC), Miami, May 2013
- Daniela ChavezGuevara, Giuseppe Vietri, Mangai Prabakar, and Jong-Hoon Kim , " Robotic Exoskeleton System Controlled by Kinect and Haptic Sensors for Physical Therapy ", Proceedings of the 29th Southern Biomedical Engineering Conference (SBEC), Miami, May 2013
- Irvin S. Cardenas and Jong-Hoon Kim , " Advanced Technique for Tele-operated Surgery Using an Intelligent Head-mount Display System ", Proceedings of the 29th Southern Biomedical Engineering Conference (SBEC), Miami, May 2013
- Mangai Prabakar, Alejandro Diaz, Daniela Chavez Guevara, and Jong-Hoon Kim , " A Study of Telerobotic Surgery and Telementoring in Space Missions ", Proceedings of the 29th Southern Biomedical Engineering Conference (SBEC), Miami, May 2013
- Uwe J. Cerron, Nagarajan Prabakar, and Jong-Hoon Kim , " A Framework For affordable Telemedicine Service ", Proceedings of the 29th Southern Biomedical Engineering Conference (SBEC), Miami, May 2013
- Nagarajan Prabakar, Jong-Hoon Kim , U. Cerron, and S.S. Iyengar., " Sensor Network Based Parking Management System ", The ISCA 4th International Conference on Sensor Networks and Applications (SNA), New Orleans, November 2012
- Lazaro Herrera, Francisco Peleato, and Jong-Hoon Kim ., " Viability of Indoor Robotic Air Aquariums ", Florida Conference on Recent Advances in Robotics , Boca Raton, Florida, May 2012
- Cardenas Irvin, Shao Leo, and Jong-Hoon Kim ., " GunBot: Design Concept of a Semi-Autonomous UGV with Omni-directional Mobility and Auto-Target Tracking ", Florida Conference on Recent Advances in Robotics , Boca Raton, Florida, May 2012
- Daniela Chavez Guevara and Jong-Hoon Kim ., "ScouterBot: Design of a Low Cost Autonomous Ball-boy Robot ", Florida Conference on Recent Advances in Robotics , Boca Raton, Florida, May 2012
- Jong-Hoon Kim, Gokarna Sharma, and S. Sitharama Iyengar., "Design Concept and Motion Planning of a Single-Moduled Autonomous Pipeline Exploration Robot", The 37th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society(IEEE- IECON 2010)
- Jong-Hoon Kim, Gokarna Sharma, and S. Sitharama Iyengar. , "FAMPER: A Fully Autonomous Mobile Robot for Pipeline Exploration", International Conference on Industrial Technology (IEEE- ICIT 2010)
- Jong-Hoon Kim, Gokarna Sharma, Noureddine Boudriga, and S. Sitharama Iyengar., "RAMP System for Proactive Pipeline Monitoring", The Third International Conference on Communication Systems and Networks(IEEE- COMSNETS 2010)
- Jong-Hoon Kim, Gokarna Sharma, Noureddine Boudriga, and S. Sitharama Iyengar., "SPAMMS: A Sensor-based Pipeline Autonomous Monitoring and Maintenance System", The Third International Conference on Communication Systems and Networks(IEEE-COMSNETS 2010)