is currently a Ryder Professor and Director in school of computing and information science, Florida International University. He received a Ph. D from Eng., Mississippi State University, Mississippi in 1974.
He received a M.S. from Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India and B.S. from Bangalore University, Bangalore, India in 1970 and in 1968 respectively. His research interests are Computational Sensor Networks (Theory and Application), Parallel and Distributed Algorithms and Data Structures, Software for Detections of Critical Events, and Autonomous Systems and Distributed Systems.
Honors and Awards
- ACM Fellow
- IEEE Fellow
- AAAS Fellow
- SPDS Fellow
- Member European Academy of Science
- Distinguished Service Award Roy Paul Daniel's Professor Award (2008-2010)
- Distinguished Research Award from Tunisian Mathematical Society, March 22,2010, Tunisia
- Member of the Advisory Board for International Journal of Wireless and Mobile Computing, Inderscience Publishers, (2005 - Present)
Research and Instructional Interest
- Computational Sensor Networks (Theory and Application)
- Parallel and Distributed Algorithms and Data Structures
- Software for Detections of Critical Events
- Autonomous Systems and Distributed Systems
2010D.SC (Honorary), Techno Global University, India1974Ph. D., Eng., Mississippi State University, Mississippi1970M.S., Mech. Eng., Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India1968B.S., Mech. Eng., Bangalore University, Bangalore, India
Selected Professional Experience
August 26, 2011 - Present Ryder Professor, Director, School of Computing and Information Sciences, Florida International University, Miami, FloridaJuly 1,1992 - 2011Roy Paul Daniels Professor & Chairman, Department of Computer Science, Louisiana State University, Louisiana,USADec 2007 and July 2008Visiting Homi Bhabha Distinguished Professor , Indira Gandhi Center of Atomic Research, Kalpakkam, IndiaAug 2006 - July 31st, 2007Visiting Chaired Professorship, Dept of Computer and Communication Engineering, Asia University, Taichung, Taiwan2004 - PresentCo-Director, Louisiana Biomedical Research Network (LBRN) Bioinformatics Core, Department of Computer Science, Louisiana State University2003 - 2006Visiting Satish Dhawan Chaired Professor, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India (2003 - 2006)May 2 - May 12Visiting Professor, University of Kuwait, 2002Feb. 19 - March 7, 1993Visiting Professor, Department of Computer Science, Universite Paris VII, France, Host: Professor A. SaoudiJuly 1, 1991 - 1992Professor and Interim Chairman, Department of Computer Science, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Text Books/ Research Monograph
- Gregory Vert, S.S.Iyengar , Vir Phoha , "Introduction to Contextual Processing - Theory and Application", CRC Press, November 2010, pp. 320.
- S.S.Iyengar. N. Parameshwaran etal., "Fundamentals of Sensor Network Programming - Application and Technology ", John Wiley and sons and IEEE Press, November 2010, pp. 352
- Chakrabarty and S.S. Iyengar, "Scalable Infrastructure for Information Processing in Distributed Sensor Networks", Springer-Verlag London Ltd, June 2005, pp. 252.
- C. Xavier and S.S. Iyengar, "Introduction to Parallel Algorithms", John Wiley and Sons, July 1998, pp. 365 Translated into Chinese language (January 2005).
- S.S. Iyengar, E.C. Cho and V. Phoha, "Foundations of Wavelet Networks and Applications", Chapman and Hall/CRC Press, June 2002, pp. 258.
- R.R. Brooks and S.S. Iyengar "Multi Sensor Fusion: Fundamentals and Applications with Software", Prentice Hall Publication Co., New Jersey 07458 (October 1997), pp. 488.
- L. Prasad and S.S. Iyengar, "Wavelet Analysis with an Application to Image Processing",Chapman and Hall/CRC Press, June 1997, pp. 279.
- S.S. Iyengar, L. Prasad and Hla Min, "Advances in Distributed Sensor Integration: Applications and Theory" Prentice-Hall, New Jersey, (1995), pp. 273.
- Wireless Communication and Sensor Computing, January 2010.
- V.K. Prasanna, S. S. Iyengar, Paul Spirakis, Matt Welsh (Eds), "Distributed Computing in Sensor Systems", Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on DCOSS.
- S.S. Iyengar and R.R. Brooks (Eds), "Distributed Sensor Networks", Taylor and Francis / CRC Press, Inc. December 2004, pp. 1120.
- A.R. Das Gupta, S.S.Iyengar and H.S. Bhatt (Eds) Recent advances in Computing and Communication, Tata McGraw-Hill, Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Advanced Computing and Communications (ADCOM 2004), pp. 486.
- S.S.Iyengar and B.Sinha (Eds), "Recent Advances in Computing and Communication", Tata McGraw- Hill, Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Advanced Computing and Communications (ADCOM 2001), pp. 286.
- S.S. Iyengar (Ed), "Structuring Biological Systems a Computer Modeling Approach", Chapman and Hall/CRC Press, December 1997, pp. 267.
- S. S. Iyengar and A. Elfes, (Eds), "Autonomous Mobile Robots: Perception, Mapping, and Navigation - Volume 1"IEEE Computer Society Press, October 1991, pp. 260.
- S. S. Iyengar, (Eds), "Structuring of Complex Bio-Systems" Volume II, Chapman and Hall/CRC Press, June 1991, pp. 267.
- Elliot Soloway and S. S. Iyengar, (Eds), "Empirical Studies of Programmers" Ablex Pub. Co., Norwood, New Jersey, June 1986, pp. 268.
- S. S. Iyengar, (Ed), "Computer Modeling of Complex Bio-Systems"Chapman and Hall/CRC Press, November 1983, pp.142 (Best Seller-list, 1984).
- Xin Li, Wuyi Yu,Xiao Lin, S.S.Iyengar. "An Optimization Algorithm for the NP-hard 3D Gallery Guarding Problem and its Application on Autonomous Pipeline Inspection" IEEE Transaction on Robotics, to appear in July 2011
- P.T. Krishna Kumar, P.T. Vinodh, Vir V. Phoha, S.S. Iyengar, Puneeth Iyengar " Design of a smart biomarker for bioremediation: A machine learning approach", Volume 41, Issue 6, Computers in Biology in Medicine, Elsevier, June 2011
- S.S. Iyengar; Xin Li; Amit Sawant; Huanhuan Xu; Puneeth Iyengar "Computational Analysis of Tumor Motion - Can the CAT Catch the Mouse", Submitted to IEEE Computers, May 2011.
- Raja, K B; Nithin, B.; Sarvajith, M.; Li, Xin; Venugopal, K R; Iyengar, Sundararaj; Patnaik, L M "Robust Image Adaptive Steganography using Integer Wavelets", Submitted to IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, April 2011.
- Shaila, K; Ghatge, Vineeth; Ramesh, Prashanth; Venugopal, Tejaswi; Srinivasagopalan, Srivathsan; Venugopal, K; Iyengar, S; Patnaik, Lalit "Link Strength Keymatch Secure Routing in Heterogeneous Wireless Sensor Networks", Submitted to IEEE Transactions on Computers, May 2011.
- Srivatsan Srinivasagopalan, Konstantin Busch, S.S. Iyengar "Oblivious Buy-at-Bulk in Planar Graphs", Submitted to SIAM Journal on Discrete Mathematics(SIDMA), April 2011.
- Noureddine Boudriga, Mohamed Hamdi, S.S. Iyengar "Coverage Assesment and Target Tracking in 3D Domains", Sensors, April 2011.
- Zakiya S. Wilson, Sitharama S. Iyengar, Su-Seng Pang, Isiah M. Warner, Candace Luces "Increasing Access for Economically Disadvantaged Students: The NSF/CSEM & S-STEM Programs at Louisiana State University", Submitted to Journal of Engineering Education (JEE), February 2011.
- Manjula, S; K, Nithin; M, Sarvajith; Shaila, K; Nalini, Gayathri; Srinivasagopalan, Srivathsan; Venugopal, K; Iyengar, S; Patnaik, Lalit "Optimal Scheduling for Maximizing the Lifetime of Wireless Sensor Networks", Submitted to IEEE Transactions on Computers, February 2011.
- Shaila, K; Srinivasagopalan, Srivathsan; Venugopal, K; Iyengar, S; Patnaik, Lalit "Double encryption to maximize security in wireless sensor networks", Submitted to IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Computing, February 2011.
- Srivatsan Srinivasagopalan, Konstantin Busch, S.S. Iyengar "An Oblivious Spanning Tree for Single-Sink Buy-at-Bulk in Low Doubling-Dimension Graphs", IEEE Transactions on Computers, to appear, 2011.