is currently an associate professor in school of computing and information science, Florida International University. He received a Ph.D form Computer Science, University of Queensland, Australia in 1985.
He received a M.E. from Automation, Indian Institute of Science, India and B.E. from Electrical & Electronics Engineering, Annamalai University, India in 1979 and in 1977 respectively. His research interests are distributed Sensor Networks, Grid Computing, Computer Networks, Image Processing for Spatial Data, and Multimedia Databases.
Honors and Awards
- School of Computing and Information Sciences Excellence in Service Award, 2011
- Teaching Incentive Program Award at Florida International University, 1995
- University of Queensland M.I.M. Holdings Ltd. prize for attaining the highest level of academic achievement in Computer Science Postgraduate Studies, 1982 and 1984
- University of Queensland Postgraduate Research Scholarship, 1981 - 1984
- Gold medal for securing the first rank in B.E. at Annamalai University, 1977
- Distributed Sensor Networks
- Machine Learning and Deep Learning
- Multimedia Databases
1985Ph.D., Computer Science, University of Queensland, Australia1979M.E., Automation, Indian Institute of Science, India1977B.E., Electrical & Electronics Engineering, Annamalai University, India
Aug 1991 - presentAssociate Professor, School of Computing and Information Sciences, Florida International University, Miami, FL 33199Aug 1985 - Aug 1991Assistant Professor, School of Computing and Information Sciences, Florida International University, Miami, FL 33199Aug 1984 - Aug 1985Visiting Assistant Professor, School of Computing and Information Sciences, Florida International University, Miami, FL 33199Jul 1981 - Aug 1984Teaching Assistant, Department of Computer Science, University of Queensland, AustraliaNov 1979 - Jul 1981Assistant Executive Engineer, Indian Telephone Industries, Bangalore, India
- Subject area coordinator: 2003 - present
Responsible to review and revise the syllabi, update textbooks, and review instructor evaluations & students’ feedback and write assessment summary for the courses.
IT Database area:
- CGS-4366 (Information Retrieval and Storage Concepts)
COP-4723 (Database Administration) COP-4722 (Survey of Database Systems)
IT Systems area:
- CGS-3767 (Computer Operating Systems)
COP-3348 (Introduction to Using Unix/Linux Systems) COP-4343 (Unix System Administration)
- Undergraduate Committee Chair: 2006 – present
Responsible for the undergraduate curriculum of both Computer Science and Information Technology programs including review of new courses, degree programs, and dependencies among courses, and make recommendations on assessment reports.
In Spring 2010, restructured the IT Curriculum to meet ABET requirements.
Compensation: One course release per year
- Human Resources Committee Member: 2011 – present
- College Curriculum Committee Chair: 2010 – present
Created a web site for the College Curriculum Committee at http://users.cis.fiu.edu/~prabakar/ccc and streamlined the meeting process. Further, this enabled transparency of the entire committee operations (documents, minutes, resolutions) for the entire college and drastically cut down the number of paper copies made for the meetings.
- College Curriculum Committee Vice Chair: 2009 - 2010
Coordinated the curriculum interaction for the college with the Faculty Senate office
- College Curriculum Committee Representative for SCIS: 2008 - present
Coordinated and submitted the following curriculum proposals on behalf of SCIS:
- Eight new courses
- New graduate program (MS in IT)
- Program changes to BS in CS, SDD Track, BS in IT
- Twenty five course changes
- Faculty Senator: 2011 – present
- Faculty Senate Nominating Committee Member: 2011 – present
- University Curriculum Committee Chair: 2010 – present
- Corrected the security feature of curriculum proposal forms (pdf files) that are fillable and now saveable using the standard Acrobat Reader. This simplifies the process of correcting any error in curriculum proposals.
- Designed curriculum bulletin calendars for 2011-2012 and 2012-2013.
- For each university curriculum bulletin,
- Reviewed all UG and grad curriculum proposals
- Scheduled hearing for all new programs/majors/tracks
- Chaired the hearing and coordinated revisions to proposals
- Presented curriculum related motions at the senate meetings
Initiated the Paperless Curriculum Project in coordination with the Vice Provost of Academic Planning, UTS IT Specialist, Faculty Senate Administrative Assistant, and Registrar Coordinator.
- Undergraduate Studies Global Learning Foundation Courses Committee Chair: 2010 – present
Created a web site for the Global Learning Foundation course proposals at http://users.cis.fiu.edu/~prabakar/glfcc and coordinated feedback from the committee members and authors of the course proposals and got five Global Learning courses approved.
- Faculty Advisor for Panther Linux User Group: 2009 – present
Established the student Linux organization in Summer 2009
Facilitated students to present about Linux features in several presentations
Organized Linux Installation Festivals to promote Linux system to new users in FIU
I gave presentations on “Automated Backup for Linux Systems” on 3/31/11 and on “Linux with Virtual Machines” on 9/6/11. Activities of PLUG are disseminated through the google group email@example.com and the web site http://plug.cis.fiu.edu
- Judge for South Florida Regional Science and Engineering Fair
Reviewed and evaluated ten Science projects on January 22, 2011
Miami-Dade College, North Campus
- Open Access Online Tutorial for Computer Science and Engineering Courses
Compiled online video lectures for most of the computer science and engineering related courses and made them available at http://motivatemyself.org for all students in the College of Engineering and Computing since Fall 2010.
- Raised fund ($1,245) for Haiti Earth-quake Relief Efforts
By participating ING Marathon in Jan 2010 ( http://motivatemyself.org/running )
- Raised fund ($1,175) for Children in Africa
By participating ING Marathon in Jan 2011 ( http://motivatemyself.org/running )
(list of all papers)
- YJ Jung, HY Park, K. Maitra, N. Prabakar, and J-H Kim: ‘Real-Time, Simultaneous and Proportional Myoelectric Control for Robotic Rehabilitation Therapy of Stroke Survivors’, Therapeutic Science for Neurorehabilitation, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 78-87, 2018.
- J-H Kim, G. Sharma, I. Cardenas, D. Kim, N. Prabakar, and S.S. Iyengar: ‘DynamicPIN: A Novel Approach Towards Secure ATM Authentication’, Proceedings of the 4th Annual Conference on Computational Science and Computational Intelligence (CSCI’17), Las Vegas, December 14-16, 2017.
- J-H Kim, N. Prabakar, G. Sharma, and S.S. Iyengar: ‘Inspiring Innovative Aspirations among Undergraduate Students’. Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Computer Science Education: Innovation and Technology (CSEIT 2017), Singapore, October 9-10, 2017.
- J. Soni, N. Prabakar, J-H Kim: ‘Prediction of Component Failures of Telepresence Robot with Temporal Data’. 30th Florida Conference on Recent Advances in Robotics, Boca Raton, pp.178-181, May 11-12, 2017.
- S. Sundarapandian, J.H. Kim, S. Ferris-Francis, J. Miller, N. Prabakar, C. Charters, H. Michko: ‘A Novel Communication Architecture and Control System for TeleBot: A Multi-Modal Telepresence Robot for Disabled Officers’. International Journal of Next-Generation Computing, Vol. 7, No. 3, 2016.